The Towel Shoulder Stretch improves flexibility of the often times overused internal shoulder rotators and it helps tennis players reduce the risk of shoulder injuries.
This shoulder stretch is a must for you. It helps you to correct postural imbalances at the shoulder and aids in the muscle recovery process.
Often times tennis players have a forward tilt of the force producing shoulder because internal shoulder rotators are stronger developed than the external shoulder rotators.
Reason being is that the internal rotators are constantly used during powerful stroke production.
Many tennis players do inadequate strength programs because they usually perform more upper-body pressing actions instead of pulling exercises.
Therefore, if you want to correct postural imbalances at the shoulder then do the towel shoulder stretch regularly and focus more on pulling exercises during strength training. You should do well.
Shoulder Stretch Recommendation
Implement the stretch into your static stretching routine post training or workout. This is also a great time to relax mentally.
Either close your eyes and focus on your breathing or you can also listen to relaxing music.
After you are finished stretching out you should feel relaxed and ready for a good massage!
Shoulder Stretch Summary
- Take towel in the right hand and place it behind the head. Now reach down the spine as far as possible.
- Maintain neutral head position and look straight forward.
- Take left hand and grab the towel behind the back.
- Pull towel over the right shoulder and slowly apply the stretch to the right shoulder.
- Now, switch hands. Left hand holds the towel and is placed behind the head and right hand grabs the towel.
- Pull towel over the right shoulder and slowly apply the stretch to the left shoulder.
- Hold stretch for 45 seconds.
- pectoralis major
- latissimus dorsi
- teres major
Other Stretches For You
Apart from the shoulder stretch we have some other stretches for you and they target the muscles acting on the shoulder.
Simply click on them to learn more or watch the videos:
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Also, make sure that you warm up properly before and stretch out after your training session.