The latissimus dorsi stretch focuses on improving flexibility of the posterior shoulder and back musculature.
The latissimus dorsi often time is tight and hence restricts range of motion at the shoulder.
Latissimus Dorsi Stretch Recommendation
Therefore implement the latissimus stretch into your static stretching routine to correcting postural shoulder imbalances.
Aside from that the latissimus stretch can also reduce the risk of shoulder injury and aids in the muscle recovery process following intense upper-body strength workouts.
This is also a great time to relax mentally.
Either close your eyes and focus on your breathing or you can also listen to relaxing music.
After you are finished stretching out you should feel relaxed and ready for a good massage!
Latissimus Dorsi Stretch Description Summary
- Fully abduct shoulders until arms are overhead
- Flex the elbows and grasp the elbows with both hands; remain neutral head position; look forward
- Lean trunk to the left (left lumbar lateral flexion), use the left hand and pull the right elbow towards the head
- Also perform stretch to the other side
- Hold stretch for 45 seconds
- Latissimus dorsi
Other Stretches For You
Apart from the latissimus dorsi stretch we have some other stretches for you that target the muscles acting on the back.
Simply click on them to learn more or watch the videos:
In this section we provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training: