The Push Up to Contralateral Limb Raise to Flexion is a calisthenic functional training exercise for professional athletes to improve synergy of the neuromuscular system, core stability, body control and coordination.
During the Push Up Limb Raise to Flexion the focus is on improving neuromuscular system efficiency. The neuromuscular system works in sync when the athlete moves on the court and hits the ball.
Emphasis is on the synchronized activation of various muscle groups and stabilizer development to improve performance and avoid injuries.
Monitor the speed of the Push Up Limb Raise to Flexion and increase the speed or decrease the base of support (arm & leg position) accordingly as the athlete becomes more proficient with the exercise dynamics.
If the athlete cannot maintain balance increase the base of support!
Push Up to Contralateral Limb Raise to Flexion Progression
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate weight so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
Push Up to Contralateral Limb Raise to Flexion Description
- Face down and position arms and feet shoulder-width apart; place palm of the hand underneath the shoulders; extend elbows; hips are in neutral pelvic position; look forward
- Place tennis ball on the ground at sternum (nipple) level
- Flex elbows and lower upper-body until chest touches the tennis ball; maintain neutral pelvic position; look forward
- Extend elbows and elevate upper-body away from the ground; maintain neutral pelvic position; look forward
- Raise contralateral limbs off the ground; maintain neutral pelvic position; look forward
- Hold position for 1 second
- Bring contralateral limbs close together (knee & elbow) and hold position for 1 second
- Repeat and raise the opposite limbs
Related Functional Training Exercises
- Pushup to Single Limb Raise
- Push Up to Contralateral Limb Raise
- Physio Ball Push Up to Single Limb Raise
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Also, make sure that you warm up properly before and stretch out after your training session.