The Squat to Single Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press is a strength for performance exercise for beginners to improve energy transfer, body control, stability and coordination for more powerful shots.
During the Squat to Dumbbell Overhead Press the focus is on improving energy transfer to apply force.
It emulates the action of a tennis player when hitting the ball. The athlete has to transfer energy through the various body segments before applying force onto the ball.
Emphasis is on the synchronized activation of the leg, core and shoulder musculature to apply force.
How To Progress
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate resistance so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
Squat to Single Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press Description
- Hold dumbbell (DB) in your right hand and flex the elbow so that DB touches your shoulder and elbow is close to/touching the body
- From athletic stance position (feet are shoulder-width apart; knees are slightly bent) perform a squat
- Extend hips to return to neutral stance while simultaneously extending elbow, pressing DB over the head
- Switch hands and repeat
Related Strength for Performance Exercises
- 4 Point Prone Contra Lateral Limb Raises
- Forward Lunge DB Reach to Overhead Press
- Front Squat and Press
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Also, make sure that you warm up properly before and stretch out after your training session.