The Physio Ball Single Leg Curl is a functional training exercise for professional athletes to improve synergy of the neuromuscular system, core stability, body control and coordination.
During the Single Leg Curl the focus is on improving neuromuscular system efficiency. The neuromuscular system works in sync when the athlete moves on the court and hits the ball.
Emphasis is on the synchronized activation of various muscle groups and stabilizer development to improve performance and avoid injuries.
Monitor the speed of the Single Leg Curl and increase the speed accordingly as the athlete becomes more proficient with the exercise dynamics.
If you have to spot because the athlete cannot maintain balance, spot the ball, not the athlete!
Physio Ball Single Leg Curl Progression
If you use additional weights, e.g. a bar for simultaneous shoulder extensions…make sure you use appropriate weight so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion.
Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
If that’s still too easy then alternate the leg curling action.
Physio Ball Single Leg Curl Description
- Place floor mat on the ground and lie down in supine position (face up); place physio ball in front of the feet
- Extend knees and keep legs close together; move the heel of the right foot centered and on top of the physio ball; left leg remains parallel but off the physio ball; move arms out wide until shoulder is 90˚ horizontally abducted;
- Elevate the trunk (hips) up high to neutral pelvic position (higher center of gravity)
- Keep hips extended and flex the right knee while the left knee remains extended and off the physio ball
- Keep trunk (hips) in elevated position and extend right knee
- Repeat and switch legs
Related Physio Ball Exercises
- PB Supine DB Press to Reach
- Physio Ball Push Up to Single Limb Raise
- Physio Ball Leg Curl Shoulder Extension
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Also, make sure that you warm up properly before and stretch out after your training session.