The Lunge Push Off to Power Press is a strength for performance exercise for pro athletes to enhance hip extensor speed, energy transfer, body control, stability and coordination for more powerful shots.
During the Lunge Push Off to Power Press the focus is on improving energy transfer to apply force. It emulates the action of a tennis player when hitting the ball.
The athlete has to transfer energy through the various body segments before applying force onto the ball.
Emphasis is on the synchronized activation of the leg, core and shoulder musculature to apply force.
How to Progress
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate resistance so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
Lunge Push Off to Power Press Description
- Start from the lunge position; knee must not protrude past toes
- Hold barbell in both hands and slightly wider than shoulder-width apart
- Place barbell on top of your chest and raise elbows horizontally until shoulder is at 90˚ or as far as possible
- Explosively push-off with the front foot and land on both feet
- During push-off extend arms until barbell is above your ears
- Return to starting position
- Alternate lunge movement
Related Strength for Performance Exercises
- 4 Point Prone Physio Ball Contra Lateral Limb Raises
- Bilateral Lunge with Bar Rotations
- Squat to Single Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.