The Physio Ball Roll Out is a functional training exercise for beginners to improve synergy of the neuromuscular system, core stability, body control and coordination.
During the Roll Out the focus is on improving neuromuscular system efficiency. The neuromuscular system works in sync when the athlete moves on the court and hits the ball.
Emphasis is on the synchronized activation of various muscle groups and stabilizer development to improve performance and avoid injuries.
If athlete cannot maintain neutral pelvic position during the Roll Out then increase the starting position distance between body and physio ball. Move hands on top of the physio ball.
Physio Ball Roll Out Progression
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate weight so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
If that’s still too easy then change your hand/arm position. We recommend you do the exercise on a soft ground. Your knees will appreciate it.
Physio Ball Roll Out Description
- Place floor mat on the ground and physio ball in front of the mat
- Kneel on the knees; position knees and feet shoulder-width apart; place palms of the hand in front of the physio ball; extend elbows; hips are in neutral pelvic position; look forward
- Maintain neutral pelvic, spine and head position, extend shoulders and roll physio ball forward to elbow level
- Hold position for 1 second
- Flex shoulders and roll physio ball back to starting position; maintain neutral pelvic position
Related Functional Training Exercises
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Have fun & happy training!