The Single Leg Lateral Box Jump Rebounds is a ballistic exercise for advanced athletes to improve neural pathways for explosive sideways running and jumping, body control and coordination.
Before you engage in ballistics you may want to take a look at Ballistic Training: How To Optimize Explosiveness for maximum results and a sample ballistic training workout for advanced athletes.
Lateral Box Jump Rebounds Progress
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate weight so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining dynamic stability and hitting in the same spots repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form. Next focus on improving your vertical jumping abilities.
When you increase the hight of the box ensure it is still stable! Otherwise you’ll increase the risk for injuries.
Here are the progression levels:
- Beginner: look down during the action
- Advanced: look forward during the action
- Professional: alternating one leg action only
Single Leg Lateral Box Jump Rebounds Description
Athlete wears ankle weights.
- Place box onto solid, non-sliding surface ~2 feet apart
- Place 4 agility rings shoulder-width apart on the ground; 2 in front and 2 behind the box
- Step into agility rings in front of the box
- Jump on top of the box with both legs simultaneously, use arm swing to generate force
- Land with both feet simultaneously
- Immediately jump off the box with both legs simultaneously while looking down at the ground
- Immediately jump backwards on top of the box with both legs simultaneously while looking down
- Jump off, landing inside the agility rings
Related Ballistic Exercises
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.