The Jump Serve Overhead Medicine Ball Throw is a ballistic exercise for beginners to improve energy transfer, neural pathways for explosive serving, body control, balance and coordination.
The focus of the Jump Serve Overhead Medicine Ball Throw is explosiveness and powerful throwing motion, emulating the movement mechanics during the serve, and hence leading to better performance.
Before you engage in ballistics you may want to take a look at Ballistic Training: How To Optimize Explosiveness for maximum results and a sample ballistic training workout for advanced athletes.
Overhead Medicine Ball Throw Progression
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate weight so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining dynamic stability and hitting in the same spots repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form. Next work on maximizing your vertical jumping abilities.
Here are the progression levels:
- Beginner: look down during the action
- Advanced: look up during the action
- Professional: alternating one leg action only
Jump Serve Overhead Medicine Ball Throw Description
- Place 1 agility ring ~1 foot inside the baseline; place 2 agility rings where feet are located during serve and step inside rings
- Hold a medicine ball (MB) in both hands behind the head
- Stand in ready position to begin the serve, perpendicular to the baseline
- Bend the knees and jump vertically & horizontally (diagonally) with both feet simultaneously inside the baseline and perform an overhead MB throw towards the appropriate (diagonal) service box
- Land inside the 1 agility ring with the leading foot; look down to the ground during landing
Related Ballistic Exercises
- Medicine Ball Trunk Twist Throw
- Lunge Overhead Med Ball Throw
- Loaded Single Leg Low-Level Lateral Tuck Jump
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.
Also, make sure that you warm up properly before and stretch out after your training session.
Have fun and happy training!