The Russian Lean is a calisthenic exercise for advanced athletes to improve knee flexor strength, body control and coordination.
How to Progress
If you use additional weights…make sure you use appropriate resistance so you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, people use too much resistance and they become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining core stability repetitively.
Also, don’t just progress with adding more weight. First, maximize the speed while maintaining perfect form.
Russian Lean Description
- Place floor mat on the ground
- Kneel on the mat with knees underneath the shoulder and maintain neutral spine – and pelvic position; the other person maintains feet and lower legs on the ground at all times
- Slowly lean forward, while maintaining neutral spine – and pelvic position, until lean can no longer be maintained and upper body falls towards the ground. Athlete absorbs the fall with the hands
- Push off the ground and flex the knees to return to starting position
Russian Lean Targeted Musculature
- Hamstrings (bicep femoris, semitendinosus, semimembranosus)
Related Resistance Training Exercises
We provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training.