The Single Leg Romanian Deadlift with Quadriceps Stretch warms up the musculature of the anterior and posterior thigh used during sprinting and explosive jumping.
Aside from preparing you for explosive movements on the court, the single leg Romanian deadlift and quadriceps stretch reduces the risk of pulling a muscle, improves flexibility of the hamstrings and quadriceps and enhances your dynamic stability during groundstrokes.
We also have more info on the benefits of a proper warm up routine.
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift Quadriceps Stretch Progressions
Implement the stretch into your dynamic stretching routine prior to your training or workout. This is also a great time to mentally prepare yourself.
Make sure you can control the action throughout the entire range of motion. Otherwise you defeat the purpose of the exercise.
Very often, athletes are not focused and they just go through the motions. They become sloppy. Especially when it comes to maintaining dynamic stability.
Here are the progression levels:
- Beginner: look down during the action
- Advanced: look forward during the action & increase speed
- Professional: close your eyes
As a beginner you want to perform the stretch in a controlled fashion so that you can maintain dynamic stability throughout the stretch.
Advanced athletes can speed up the action to increase the dynamic stability requirements.
Professional athletes can close their eyes during the action. That makes it even more difficult to maintain dynamic stability throughout the action.
Single Leg Romanian Deadlift Quadriceps Stretch Summary
- Stand on the left leg
- Right hand grabs the toes of the right foot
- Pull the right foot towards the buttocks while lowering the upper-body as far towards the ground as possible
- Maintain stability and hold stretch for a second
- Return upper-body to normal position and release the right hand
- Stand on the right leg and repeat with left hand/foot
More Dynamic Stretches
Of course we have more great dynamic stretches that you can do before you start playing tennis to get yourself prepared and ready for action.
Simply chose 6-8 dynamic stretches for your dynamic stretch routine that warm up the major muscle groups of the legs and hips and you are ready to go!
Here are a few suggestions:
- Butt Kicks Dynamic Quad Stretch
- Straight Leg Kicks Dynamic Hamstring Stretch
- Dynamic Cross Over Lunge Stretch with Heel Reach
Other Static Stretches For You
Apart from the single leg Romanian deadlift quadriceps stretch we have some other static stretches for you that target the muscles acting on the hip and the knee.
You can use these stretches during the cool down once you are finished with your match or training session.
Simply click on them to learn more or watch the videos:
In this section we provide you with some more workouts and training tips you may be interested in to optimize your training: